AUSTIN Five Texas Country Cleanups, agricultural waste pesticide collection and household hazardous waste collection are scheduled for April. Each cleanup will be from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The following items will be accepted:
– Used motor oil (except that from oil-changing businesses);
– Used motor oil filters (limited to two 55-gallon barrels per participant);
– Agricultural and household chemicals;
– Lead-acid batteries; and
– Triple-rinsed or high-pressure rinsed empty pesticide containers. (Please remove lids and instruction sheets.)
Dates and places of the cleanups are:
– April 21 at the Texas Department of Transportation, 3600 Southwest Loop 286 in Paris. Contact Michael Morrow, Texas Cooperative Extension agent in Lamar County, at (903) 737-2443.
– April 23 at the Hunt County Fairgrounds, Farm-to-Market Road 1570 (across from L-3 Communications) in Greenville. Contact Sara Allen, Extension agent in Hunt County, at (903) 455-9885.
– April 25 at Smith Brothers Western Store, 7833 U.S. Interstate 35, Exit 472, in Denton. Contact Eddie Baggs, Extension agent in Denton County, at (940) 349-2880.
– April 27 at the Texas Department of Transportation, 861 South Shelby Street in Carthage. Contact Douglas McKinney, Extension agent in Panola County, at (903) 693-0380.
– April 29 at Hillcrest Baptist Church, 3196 Highway 190 West in Jasper. Contact Rickey Thompson, Extension agent in Jasper County, at (409) 384-3721.
Sponsors of the cleanups are Extension and the Small Business and Environmental Assistance Division of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
For more information about these cleanup events visit the Web at http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/exec/oppr/agwaste/agwaste.html or call Dwight Sitta at (512) 239-4749 or an Extension agent.