CANYON – The 36th annual Randall County Ag Show and Crops Tour is scheduled for Sept. 18 in Canyon, according to J.D. Ragland, Texas AgriLife Extension Service agriculture and natural resource agent for Randall County.
The day’s activities will begin at 8:30 a.m with registration and coffee and donuts sponsored by Panhandle-Plains Land Bank of Amarillo. The morning portion will take place in the Dillehay Education Room of the Kuhlman Extension Center, 200 N. Brown Road.
The morning program, starting at 9 a.m., includes:
– “Making Right Decisions in a Crazy Market,” Dr. Steve Amosson, AgriLife Extension economist, Amarillo.
– “Management Strategies for Re-establishing Native Pastures and Associated Cost,” Dr. Ted McCollum, AgriLife Extension beef cattle specialist, Amarillo.
– “Recommendations and Cost of Weed Control in Native Pastures,” Jodie Stockett, Dow AgroSciences representative, Claude.
– “Managing Less Production Acres for Increased Profits,” Doug Caven, Channel seed representative, Amarillo.
The noon luncheon and awards presentations, sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank and Feldman’s of Canyon, will feature the 2012 Randall County Top Hand and Agribusiness Awards. The luncheon speaker will be Pat Hickman, president and CEO of Happy State Bank, presenting “Current Local Economy and Future Outlook.”
The afternoon tour will depart at 1:30 p.m. on buses sponsored by the Palo Duro Soil and Water Conservation District of Canyon, with an expected return of 4:30 p.m.
This year there will be three talks at one location, Ragland said. The tour stop site will be on the Gruhlkey Farm located southwest of Bushland. The following field trial studies will be featured and discussed:
– “Irrigation Management Targeted for Cotton with Added Corn Production,” Jorge Cuarezma, Monsanto representative, Lubbock.
– “Irrigation Well Efficiency Test Demonstration,” Nich Kenny, AgriLife Extension irrigation specialist, Amarillo.
– “Corn Production Under Drip Irrigation,” Britton Gruhlkey, producer.
Three Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units – two general and one drift – will be available for all private applicators, Ragland said.
Those planning to attend should RSVP by Sept. 14 by calling the AgriLife Extension office in Randall County at 806-468-5543.