Writer: Susan Himes, 325-657-7315, Susan.Himes@ag.tamu.edu
Contact: Dena Floyd, 432-586-2593, Dena.Floyd@ag.tamu.edu
MONAHANS– The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will hold the Sandhills Beef Cattle Conference on July 18.
The event is hosted by the AgriLife Extension offices of Winkler, Loving, Ward, Crane, Andrews, Ector and Midland counties. Upper Pecos Soil and Water Conservation Service is sponsoring the event.
Registration is $20, and participants must RSVP by July 8 to the AgriLife Extension office in Crane County at 432-558-3522.
The event will run 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Ward County Events Center, 1525 E. Monahans Parkway.
“We’ve got an absolutely phenomenal lineup of experts slated to speak at this event, covering the latest industry news and innovations,” said Dena Floyd, AgriLife Extension agent for Winkler and Loving counties. “We’re excited to be able to bring such a large-scale cattle conference to our communities.”
Brooks Landgraf, Texas House of Representatives, District 81, will kickoff of the event with a welcome. Lunch will be provided courtesy of Purina and Ag Workers Mutual Insurance. Dr. Clay Burson, Purina Animal Nutrition representative, will be the guest speaker during lunch.
Conference topics and experts will include:
- Industry Update – Stacy Fox, Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Fort Worth.
- Preventive Herd Health Management – Kevin Johnson, assistant director, ranch management program, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth.
- Cattle Price Outlook – Bill Thompson, AgriLife Extension economist, San Angelo.
- Agriculture Weather Outlook – Brian Bledsoe, rancher, chief meteorologist KKTV, Colorado Springs.
- Impacts of Water Quality on Reproduction – Dr. Craig Gifford, New Mexico State University beef cattle specialist, Las Cruces.
- Current Issues Impacting Agriculture – James Decker, agriculture lawyer, Shahan Guevara Decker Arrott Law Firm, Abilene.
- A Look at Cattle Markets: Traditional, Specialty and Niche – Dr. Bruce Carpenter, AgriLife Extension livestock specialist, Fort Stockton.
- Effective Use of Stockmanship – Dr. Ron Gill, AgriLife Extension livestock specialist, College Station.
- A Tale of Two Beefs – Dr. Dan Hale, AgriLife Extension meat specialist, College Station.