The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will hold the Central Texas Turf and Pest Control Officer Continuing Education Unit Workshop on Sept. 13 in Hewitt.
There are five Texas Department of Agriculture integrated pest management continuing education units available or five structural pest control officer continuing education units.
The program is presented by the AgriLife Extension office in McLennan County and VirKim Inc. It will be at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6008, 725 Sun Valley Blvd.
If registered by Sept. 8, the cost is $75. After that date the cost is $85 at the door. Checks should be made payable to: VirKim/CEU Workshop and mailed to VirKim Inc., 718 Sun Valley Blvd., Hewitt, Texas, 76643.
The event will begin with onsite registration at 7:30 a.m., with the program from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch is included.
Participants may choose among concurrent sessions for their appropriate CEU goal. Participants must bring their license to the event to receive credits. For additional information, call 254-420-2456.
Topics and speakers
The program will start with an introduction and an overview, followed by the following topics and speakers:
- History of Integrated Pest Management Practices, Chrissie Segars, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension turfgrass specialist, Dallas.
- Termites and Wood Destroying Insects, Janet Hurley, AgriLife Extension integrated pest management specialist, Dallas.
- Program Approach to Weed Control, Segars.
- Common Structural Pests in Texas, Hurley.
- Landscape Plant Diseases in Central Texas, Kevin Ong, Ph.D., plant pathologist and director of the Texas Plant Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Bryan-College Station.
- General Laws and Regulations, Don Renchie, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension pesticide safety program coordinator in the Agricultural and Environmental Safety Unit, Bryan-College Station.
- Lawn and Ornamental Disease Management, Segars.