Katelyn Klawinsky, upcoming senior in the Department of Agricultural Economics in the Texas A&M College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, set her sights on giving back to the agriculture industry that raised her. This personal drive resulted in two Agricultural and Natural Resources Policy, ANRP, internships, the latest of which took her to Rome to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO.

Katelyn Klawinsky standing in a pink suit with green bushes and a brown building behind her.
Katelyn Klawinsky ’24, agricultural economics student, lands an internship with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO. (Texas A&M AgriLife photo by Michael Miller)

The ANRP internship program serves as a premier leadership opportunity offered within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The program allows students to complete exciting, policy-focused internships in Austin, Washington, D.C., and Rome for a semester while earning academic credit during the fall, spring and summer semesters.

Interns who experience this program benefit from real opportunities to understand the policy-making process and how it impacts agriculture and natural resources.

Klawinsky sat down with us to share her experience within the program this summer and how she plans to implement everything she learned during her internship. 

Q: What made you want to study agricultural economics?

A: As a fourth-generation cattle rancher, growing up, I would always go with my dad to feed cows and be a helping hand. These experiences I had from a young age sparked my interest in agriculture.

As Thomas Jefferson once said in a letter to George Washington, “Agriculture is our wisest pursuit because it will, in the end, contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness.”

I chose this college and agricultural economics as my major to continue contributing to the industry that raised me while striving to represent farmers and ranchers in the policy sector. Thanks to the various degree paths that you can choose from in the department, I am focusing my degree on policy and economic analysis. During my previous internship and on an agricultural policy honors experience in Washington, D.C., I became intrigued by global food security and agricultural trade.

Q: Why did you choose to participate in ANRP?

A: Last summer, I had the opportunity to participate in the ANRP program by interning for Rep. Jake Ellzey in Washington, D.C. This opportunity allowed me to learn more about the policy-making process and domestic agricultural policy.

I wanted to broaden my experience and knowledge of international agricultural policy and see how different policy decisions affect global food security.

The FAO headquarters is in Rome. Interning with the FAO has developed my understanding of how the organization formulates recommendations for policymakers while collaborating with stakeholders to produce solutions addressing global food security challenges.

Q: What is your most memorable experience in the program and your semester abroad?

Katelyn Klawisnky standing in a room wearing a blue dress with a projector screen behind her that reads "OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2023-2032".
Agricultural and Natural Resources Policy intern Katelyn Klawisnky at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development-FAO Agricultural Outlook Launch. (Courtesy photo)

A: During my internship, I assisted in preparing a speech for the director general of the FAO for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development-FAO Agricultural Outlook Launch. This experience was very memorable as I further developed my writing skills and watched the speech during the FAO conference.

During my time abroad, I also have had the opportunity to travel across Italy. I have been able to experience different cultures and meet people from across the world. This has given me a new perspective on life. My fondest memories abroad have been those I have made while traveling.

Q: How is the ANRP program unique compared to other internship opportunities?

A: The ANRP program allows students the opportunity to tailor their agriculture policy experience by choosing to intern at the state, national or international levels in Austin, Washington, D.C., and Rome. Depending on their interests, students have the chance to explore new places while expanding their knowledge and experience.

The well-known reputation of Aggie interns and the strong ties of the Aggie network contribute to the continuation of placements for interns across the globe.

Q: How has your coursework and experience helped during your internship this summer? 

A: As a markets and trade intern, I have used skills I learned in courses like Agricultural Policy and Fundamentals of Agricultural Economics Analysis.

That coursework equipped me for the projects I have been a part of at FAO. From analyzing data to preparing presentations, I have done these tasks well because of the education that being an agricultural economics student at Texas A&M University has provided me.

Q: What advice would you give to prospective students looking to pursue the same education and internship path as you?

A: I’d start by asking them if they have ever wondered what it would be like to move across the world. If they have pondered this question before, we’re very similar.

I was able to give international life a test run by moving to Rome for three months during my ANRP internship.

Before this summer, I had never even been outside the U.S. This internship was an exciting opportunity for me to work for FAO, gain more experience in agricultural economics and explore the world.

My advice to students is that you are more capable than you realize. Throughout the process of finding a placement office and preparing to go abroad, it is easy to get overwhelmed. However, I found it was best to remain focused on the opportunity at hand.

Q: What are your goals for the future once you have completed your internship?

A: I will return to Texas A&M to finish my bachelor’s degree in agricultural economics and apply for graduate school. I want to continue my education while also exploring more opportunities to broaden my experiences and learn more about sustainable agricultural development and agricultural policy.

To learn more about the Agricultural and Natural Resources Policy Internship program, visit https://anrp.tamu.edu/.