A headshot of Robert Brueggerhoff, radio host of Garden Success. He wears a bright blue shirt and dark jacket and tie
Stephen Brueggerhoff is the new host of “Garden Success.” He replaces the retired Skip Richter, longtime host of the KAMU-FM radio program. (Texas A&M AgriLife)

While most people have the day off on the Fourth of July, Stephen Brueggerhoff will be working — and he hopes some Texas gardeners will join him.

Brueggerhoff, the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service horticulturist for Brazos County, is taking over as host of the “Garden Success” call-in radio program on KAMU-FM. The popular program has aired for 21 years, with Robert “Skip” Richter serving as host for the past decade.

Richter’s last Garden Success program was June 27. After co-hosting the program alongside Richter throughout June, Brueggerhoff said he’s ready to take the baton from his former colleague on July 4.

Brueggerhoff previously served as the AgriLife Extension horticulturist for Galveston County. In December, Richter retired from his position as the agency’s horticulturist for Brazos County and Brueggerhoff took over.

How to listen and watch ‘Garden Success’

“Garden Success” airs every Thursday from noon-1 p.m. on 90.9 KAMU-FM. Brueggerhoff will answer gardeners’ questions and quandaries each week. Listeners can call in with questions at 979-845-5689 or email [email protected].

The show is always dictated by gardener’s questions, but Brueggerhoff did share that he expects tree pests and disease to be among Thursday’s topics because they are timely.

If you miss Brueggerhoff’s first show, or any future show, you can listen to past episodes on the KAMU “Garden Success” page or on your favorite podcast platform.

Mind for gardening, voice for radio

Brueggerhoff feels fortunate to inherit Richter’s role as Garden Success host. Luckily, he said, he has a voice for radio to complement his extensive garden knowledge.

“I’m honored Skip entrusted me with this program that has been an important part of the community for over two decades,” he said. “I love performing, and I love interacting with people and sharing my horticultural knowledge, so I think that is part of what makes me feel comfortable being on radio.”

Helping Texans achieve garden success

Brueggerhoff keeps very busy between his AgriLife Extension job and leading the Brazos County Master Gardeners. His career centers around helping landscape and garden enthusiasts realize their goals.

Previously, Brueggerhoff served AgriLife Extension in Brazoria County, worked as an outreach manager at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin and was a nursery manager.

“I think all my professional experiences will contribute to the radio program,” he said. “I may have a few butterflies on the Fourth of July for my first show, but I am comfortable assuming this important role and look forward to helping my fellow Texans with their garden and yard concerns.”