Turner Matkin, a young adult wearing a blue shirt and stands in a grassy patch in front of a tree holding a championship banner from a livestock competition.
Turner Matkin’s passion for showing goats led to a passion for livestock judging. (Jordan Maldonado/J-M Media)

Turner Matkin ’28 had an extraordinary summer by any measure. He served as a Livestock Judging Camp leader for the Texas A&M Department of Animal Science, traveled with the Texas 4-H livestock judging team to compete in Scotland and Ireland, then moved to College Station to start his freshman year as a fourth-generation Aggie.

The Boerne native began showing market goats in elementary school and proudly exhibited six state champion animals before graduating from Comfort High School.

“I have always had a passion for all types of livestock,” said Matkin, an animal science major in the department. “It’s hard to explain, but I just feel like I have a connection with animals.”

That connection sparked Matkin’s interest in livestock judging, leading him to seek out a livestock judging camp.

“The one camp all the judging world people I most respected recommended was the one at Texas A&M,” he said.

This passion for livestock judging and enthusiasm for Texas A&M has proved to be a winning combination, benefiting not just Matkin but others as well.

Path to judging

Matkin first became interested in livestock judging midway through high school. While he loved showing goats, he saw judging as a way to satisfy his interest in becoming more involved with all types of livestock.

He joined his Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service 4-H team in Kendall County and quickly realized he had a talent for judging

“It was just something that happened, and it was a blessing from God and from there it just really accelerated,” Matkin said. “When I started judging, it opened up so many doors and so many opportunities for me.”

Matkin said his 4-H coaches Conner and Brittni Cross and Charles Seidensticker were instrumental in getting him started in livestock judging and giving him the foundation needed to be successful at it.

Once he started judging, he was eager to improve, he sought advice from his 4-H coaches and others who had judged successfully. The consensus was clear: the Texas A&M College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Department of Animal Science Livestock Judging Camp was where he needed to apply his talent.

Livestock judging camp

A group of children at a livestock judging camp looking intently into an animal pen holding notebooks.
Livestock Judging Camp was a turning point for Turner Matkin, who returned over the summer to serve as a counselor himself and inspire other kids. (Michael Miller/Texas A&M AgriLife)

The Department of Animal Science Livestock Judging Camps are designed for 4-H and FFA members looking to develop their skills in evaluating market and breeding animals, including beef, swine, sheep and goats.

Matkin first attended camp in 2022 and was immediately impressed by the instructors, many of whom were part of the College’s 2022 championship livestock judging team.

At camp, he found himself surrounded by peers who shared and encouraged his passion.

“The counselors were so interactive, and they were so willing to help,” Matkin said. “They were all just really great people and really great teachers.”

Camper to counselor

“I wanted to be able to give back to the camp that helped me get to where I am today with judging,” Matkin shared.

He said staying involved with livestock judging also helps him stay updated on the latest information and keeps his skills sharp.

“I will really strive to make the Texas A&M team once I’ve taken the prerequisite course, but helping others is something I always want to do, no matter in what capacity,” he said.

He was able to fulfill his goal of supporting other kids passionate about livestock judging by serving as a camp counselor at the Department of Animal Science Livestock Judging Camp this past summer. 

“I was blessed to be given the opportunity to be a counselor, and I am so grateful for it,” Matkin said. 

Judging success

Matkin served as a counselor for the first Reasons Camp of the summer, which focused on selection principles, oral reasons, live-market evaluation and breeding-animal performance data.

However, he and his 4-H team had an incredibly strong 2023-2024 livestock judging season, which he credits much of their success to what he learned during his two years as a camper.

“We placed third at 4-H Roundup, which qualified us to go to the American Royal livestock judging contest, which we won overall at,” Matkin explained.

This victory provided him with the opportunity to judge in Scotland and Ireland over the summer. Unfortunately, the trip dates meant he wasn’t able to be a counselor at all of Texas A&M’s livestock judging camps, only helping with the Reasons Camp.

“It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to travel to the U.K. and judge internationally,” he said. “But I look forward to being a camp counselor for all the sessions next year. There is nothing like being around livestock judging kids and to help them like I was helped.”