The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service has hired Jeff Fant to serve as the agency’s disaster assessment and recovery agent for District 7. He will be based in San Angelo.

“Jeff brings a great deal of experience with him from the American Red Cross, law enforcement and emergency management that makes him a natural fit for this position,” said Marty Gibbs, AgriLife Extension administrator, San Angelo. “He will be working with county agents, county judges, emergency management coordinators and the Texas Division of Emergency Management to help prepare AgriLife Extension for disaster recovery and assessment in West Central Texas.”

Fant previously worked as a senior disaster program manager for the American Red Cross in San Angelo. Prior to that, he spent 25 years with the San Angelo Police Department where he most recently served as the assistant chief of police for the Support Services Bureau.

“I was born and raised in the San Angelo area, and this job gets me back to my rural roots,” Fant said. “I thought this job would mold together my historical background and my professional background really well. I worked in similar fields my whole life, and I thought this would be a really good fit for me.”

The working relationship between the Texas Department of Emergency Management, TDEM, and AgriLife Extension created the need for specialized agents. Disaster assessment and recovery agents, or DAR, prepare their districts for natural disasters and disaster recovery while working alongside and supporting state agencies. 

“With a background in critical incident command and then migrating to disaster services, I am hopeful I can combine those experiences in my new role and bring a lot to the DAR program and help shape it moving forward,” Fant said.

Fant said he was excited to be able to serve a group that is often underserved in emergencies. With this role, he said he was looking forward to also being able to help those farmers and producers with their livestock and to help them restore their livelihood after a disaster.

Share or print this post: