The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service offices in Jim Wells, Kenedy/Kleberg, Nueces and San Patricio counties will host the “Show Me the Money” beef cattle production webinar series from 6-8 p.m. on four consecutive Tuesdays from Oct. 26 to Nov. 16.
“These webinars, presented by AgriLife Extension and other beef cattle industry experts, will be helpful to producers because they will provide a wide range of information that can be applied to the beef cattle operation,” said Jason Ott, AgriLife Extension agent, Nueces County.
The cost is $10 for each webinar or $20 for the first three webinars. The Nov. 16 webinar is free. Online registration is required for each webinar.
The first webinar, “Cattle Marketing,” will be Oct. 26. Presenters and topics will be:
- David Anderson, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension state livestock marketing specialist and agricultural economist, Bryan-College Station — Economics of Cattle Marketing.
- Eddie Garcia, Gulf Coast Auction, Alice — Cattle Buying: Why They Bring What They Do.
- Riley Rhodes, Live Oak Auction, Three Rivers — Feeder Cattle Sales: Upgrading Marketability.
- Rodney Butler, Beeville and Nixon auctions — Breeder Sales: Marketing Your Genetics.
The second webinar, “Feeds, Minerals and Supplementation,” will be Nov. 2. It will have the following presenters and topics:
- Jason Banta, Ph.D. AgriLife Extension beef specialist, Overton, will present on understanding the relationships between grass, hay and feed to maintain a cow.
- Ron Gill, Ph.D., Department of Animal Science associate department head and AgriLife Extension program leader for animal science at Texas A&M University, Bryan-College Station, will present on why minerals matter for cattle nutrition.
The third webinar in the series, to be presented Nov. 9, will be “The Economics of Infertility.” The presenters and topics for this webinar will be:
- Stan Bevers, retired AgriLife Extension economist and owner of Broken B Cattle and Key Performance Indicators, Vernon, will present on herd economics and the cost of open cows.
- Ky Pohler, Ph.D., assistant professor of animal science with Texas A&M’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, will discuss how to improve cow fertility and reproduction.
The final webinar on Nov. 16 will address Beef Quality Assurance certification.