Kadie Graves ’24, Lubbock, came to Texas A&M University with her sights set on a degree in biology. However, after taking an introductory animal science course in her sophomore year, it didn’t take long for Graves to shift her perspective on a field of study.

A woman, Katie Graves, stands in the hallway of a building with her meat judging lab coat on, a clip board in her hand, a hard hat with Texas A&M's logo and a thumbs up
Kadie Graves jumped into her college experience by joining the meat judging team, which practiced in the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center. (Texas A&M AgriLife photo)

Fascinated by the course material and the chance to further connect with agriculture, Graves took a leap of faith and transferred to the Department of Animal Science in the Texas A&M College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

“Overall, deciding to be an animal science major was one of the best decisions I ever made in my college career,” Graves said.

Not one to choose an easy path, Graves decided to jump headfirst into the college experience by taking advantage of many high-impact learning opportunities beyond the classroom. Graves is an honors student at the department and university levels and holds the positions of social chair and president of the Texas A&M Terry Scholars organization, serves as a fellow in the Maroon and White Leadership Program and is a member of the Meat Science and Technology Association and Honors Student Council.

But according to Graves, the most impactful experience has been her time spent on the 2023 Texas A&M Meat Judging Team. Not only did the experience give her new friends and countless memories, but it also opened up new possibilities with a career path she never thought possible.

Graves, a 2023 First Team All-American meat judger, recently shared her experiences as a student and judging team member.   

What drew you to the Department of Animal Science?

I believe there is no other program in the country that offers students a strong foundation of experiential learning like the Texas A&M Department of Animal Science. This department combines my passions for agriculture and health while giving me opportunities to enrich my college experience with hands-on learning opportunities. The number of established clubs and organizations within the department, as well as opportunities in outreach, study abroad programs and volunteer activities, made it a no-brainer for me to transfer.

I also appreciate the academic advisors, professors and staff who make sure I am set up for success. I have been able to network with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in the beef cattle and meat science areas, compete as a member of the 2023 Texas A&M Meat Judging Team, participate in a study abroad in the United Kingdom, and travel across the country for the American Meat Science Association, AMSA, events and competitions. In addition, through the availability of diversified coursework, I took a class at the Winnie Carter Wildlife Center, gaining experience with handling exotic animals.

A meat judging team photo with Kadie Graves and lots of students holding ribbons of different colors as well as plaques
The Texas A&M Meat Judging Team was named champion overall at the 2023 South Plains Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest while Katie Graves was a a member. (Courtesy photo)

Tell us about your experience as a member of the meat judging team.

Being a part of the meat judging team has taught me invaluable lessons beyond my wildest expectations. The college experience can be overwhelming, but I realized the only way to fail is not taking the chance to explore. I took a chance, stepped out of my comfort zone, and enrolled in the meat judging class, looking for an avenue for competition. After a few weeks of class and practice, I fell in love with meat judging. Looking back, I realize how integral this experience has been to my development as a scholar, professional and friend.

The team aspect has impacted me more than my individual accomplishments by giving me countless memories and life-long friendships. It takes a strong team that can win together and lose together. My 2023 team was an incredible group of individuals who pushed me to be a successful meat judger and an even better person. Between surprise birthday parties, group study sessions and many hours traveling in the van, the 2023 meat judging team became a family. I believe the most enriching experience of a college career is finding a place, and I can confidently tell you I found mine.

What has been the most rewarding part about being on the meat judging team?

Meeting friends along the way would have to top the list as the most rewarding part of my experience. Whether it be my team members from different backgrounds or competitors from other prestigious universities, the people in meat judging have made it worthwhile.

Beyond making life-long friendships, meat judging provided several avenues for my professional growth and development. It led me to pursue a career as a meat science researcher, which is something I would have never considered previously. Making decisions and being confident about those choices is an important part of a meat judging contest. Through my time on the team, I learned how to master that skill, which will be beneficial to a career as a meat scientist.

Lastly, the meat judging team provided me with opportunities to network with other universities and companies through AMSA. Being a member of AMSA has challenged me to connect with other students through collegiate judging contests, the Reciprocal Meat Conference, and other events such as the JBS Global Ingenuity Student Training and Education Program. I plan to maintain my membership as a graduate student and professional, taking advantage of scholarships and grants through AMSA, and hopefully leading the AMSA Student Board of Directors next term.

How were you able to balance your coursework and time as a competitive team member?

Often, it felt like I was doing meat judging with a side of school, but I always knew that school was my top priority. Meat judging requires a lot of time away from the classroom, and I learned to be efficient with my time when I had it. Other than time management, it is helpful to take courses along with your teammates. Most of us are animal science majors, so we had study sessions at hotels and in the van, traveling to contests.

Though it seemed overwhelming at times when the pace never slowed down, it was nice to know that I was not going through it alone. There is a lot of sacrifice in terms of social life and sleep to be a successful judge and student, but it is well worth it. I believe that I can speak on behalf of the 2023 team and say that although it wasn’t easy, we are all much better because of this experience.

What advice would you share with prospective students interested in pursuing an animal science degree?

I would encourage any student beginning in animal science to try something they have absolutely no clue about, make connections with professors, join organizations, volunteer and be open-minded enough to learn from their peers. As I mentioned before, I believe that the Department of Animal Science is one of the strongest in the nation and an outstanding department within the College. As an animal science student, I was able to explore my passion in the health field as well as new passions within meat science. If you are willing to get involved, you will find a fantastic program.

I would also have to say, don’t be timid with your coursework, even if you are like me and do not have an extensive background in agriculture. Texas A&M has unique hands-on programs to help you feel confident in many aspects of the animal science industry, including animal handling and foundational knowledge. Though it might seem intimidating, every professor is there to teach you, no matter your background or skill level.

Moreover, never be afraid to shake hands and get to know professors and industry professionals. That will take you further than you can imagine.

What are your goals after graduation?

After I graduate with my bachelor’s degree in May, I will begin graduate school at Texas A&M, working toward a master’s in animal science with a focus on meat science. After exploring various aspects of meat science research in graduate school, I hope to secure a job with a food company in research and development. This summer, I will intern in Springdale, Arkansas, with Tyson Foods at the global innovation center. I am excited about the chance to explore this profession and network at a large company. Overall, I look forward to using all the knowledge and skills I have learned as a meat judger and an animal science student at Texas A&M.