The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service is hosting a home canning class on Oct. 15 in Waco in partnership with McLennan Community College Continuing Education.
The event will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the AgriLife Extension office in McLennan County, 4224 Cobbs Drive.
The cost is $39, and space is limited to 20 participants. Participants may register by calling 254-299-8888 or at https://tx.ag/CanningClass. Additional information is available on the continuing education website at https://cereg.mclennan.edu/.
“This hands-on class will teach you to prepare and can food in a water bath canner and pressure canner,” said Colleen Foleen, AgriLife Extension family and community health agent for McLennan County and course instructor. “Home canning of your own produce as ingredients can be a very economical way to serve healthy meals for your family.”
The course will cover:
- Supplies needed and how to prepare jars for canning.
- Different types of canners.
- How to prepare different types of high-acid foods including fruits, tomatoes, jams, jellies and pickled products.
- Following a tested and approved recipe.
- Canning foods in class to take home.
For more information on home canning class opportunities, contact Foleen or Ashley Cox, AgriLife Extension family and community health assistant agent for McLennan County, at 254-757-5180.