The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will be holding the Central Texas Turf and Pest Management Continuing Education Unit Workshop event from 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. on Sept. 12 in Hewitt.
Co-sponsored by the AgriLife Extension office in McLennan County and VirKim Inc., the workshop will be held at the Hewitt Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall, 725 Sun Valley Blvd.
Registration cost is $75 before Sept. 7 and $85 after the deadline or at the door. Registration may be done either at the door or by mailing a check to VirKim Inc., 718 Sun Valley Blvd., Hewitt, TX 76643. Checks need to be payable to VirKim/CEU Workshop.
Five Texas Department of Agriculture agricultural or structural pest control continuing education units will be available upon completion of the workshop.
The following topics and speakers will be featured during the workshop, including:
- Managing your outdoor environment using integrated pest management, Janet Hurley, AgriLife Extension integrated pest management specialist, Dallas.
- Termites and wood destroying insects, Bryant McDowell, AgriLife Extension specialist, Dallas.
- Program approach to weed control, Manuel Chavarria, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension turfgrass specialist, Bryan-College Station.
- Common structural pests in Texas, McDowell.
- Persistent and emerging landscape plant diseases in Central Texas, Kevin Ong, Ph.D., professor and associate department head for AgriLife Extension programs, Texas A&M Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, Bryan-College Station
- General laws and regulations, Don Renchie, Ph.D., professor and AgriLife Extension specialist and program leader for the Agricultural and Environmental Safety Unit, Bryan-College Station
- Ornamental and turfgrass pest management, Hurley
For more information, contact the AgriLife Extension office in McLennan County at 254-757-5180.